Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Sweet Strawberry Tallcake



I love strawberry shortcake in the summer. Homemade, fluffy white cake with fresh strawberries and puffy whipped cream...I would have made exactly that aside from the fact that I didn't have any heavy whipping cream. 
Plus I wanted something...sweeter. Something sweet enough to take away the winter blues.
If strawberry shortcake is good, strawberry tallcake would be better!
I started with a basic white cake mix. I flubbed separating one of the egg whites so about half a yolk did enter the batter. No problem, it still tasted heavenly. ;) If you're in need, I recommend this one found on King Arthur Flour's website: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/tender-white-cake-recipe


I baked this cake in two 8" round cake pans, sprayed with baking spray. I tried using avocado oil spray for a couple of cakes over the summer and will never make that mistake again. If I'm going for a rich, sweet, cake, I'm going all the way with fat content!
Once cooled, I spread a layer of all-natural strawberry preserves on top of the bottom layer and then placed the upper layer firmly on top. 
I made a light buttercream frosting from 4 cups of confectioners sugar, 1/4 cup of whole milk, 1.5 sticks of salted sweet cream butter, 1 tsp of vanilla extract and mix. I whipped the butter with a fork first...I just always do this and I'm going to show just how lazy I am but for a small batch of buttercream I prefer to use the hand-held mixer or a fork and some elbow grease. 

I only put the buttercream on the top of the cake. I didn't wait until the cake was cool enough which is why it is not pictured as a whole cake! ;) So, lesson learned, I will be more patient next time.
It still tasted delicious though and looked mighty pretty when garnished with some fresh, sweet strawberries.

You can kind of see that sloppy cake top in the background...oops! Shhh! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment