Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Hibernation, Caves, and Bears - Oh My!

I call my two boys my little bears - DG was "Teddy Bear" as a baby and Noah became "Honey Bear" or "Beary" - so I call them my "baby bears" or "two bears" which I happen to think they enjoy. ;)
I knew that during winter I wanted to cover the topic of hibernation, adaptation, and migration so we had a bear-themed day while we covered the idea of hibernation.
We read "A Bed for Bear" by Clive McFarland. I bought this book through the Scholastic Book Order and it was part of a set which had the audio CD to accompany the book. The boys and I love listening to the audio book, it's just something fun and different to hear a narrator other than mama, and the follow-up questions are something we always look forward to. In this book, Bear searches for a bed that is more suitable than his cozy, crowded cave, but ends up finding that a cave was the perfect bed all along. It's a sweet story which also transitions to a lesson on hibernation really well!
We played with our Lego Duplo wildlife park, which just happens to feature animals that do (and do not) hibernate, here the Joker is visiting Bear's cave.
A perfect "bed" for two bears to hibernate!
We made these cute bear snacks using a 1/2 graham cracker, smear of sunbutter, two blueberries, two chocolate chips, and a mini marshmallow.
And of course, we had a picnic in our bear cave, which was made out of a box covered in crinkly brown packing paper (thanks, giant Amazon subscription delivery!)
A "beary" fun lesson!


No comments:

Post a Comment